27 October, 2012

International Hug A Sheep Day!

Two years ago, Punkin's Patch started Hug A Sheep Day! Being that I enjoy sheep but am not normally a "sheep hugger," I was skeptical. Alas, this year Jenny convinced me. After all, they even did a story about it on the Today Show's website!

So I set out this morning on my mission to get a photo for hug a sheep day. Rain clothes, a warm hat and my iPhone in its waterproof case in hand, I headed out to the farm. I had in my head that the hug-ee would be Badger, AKA 1203. She was the single lamb of my katahdin ewe who survived a dog attack last November. As a side bonus, she is quite cute.

Phase 1 of the plan: Explain Hug a Sheep Day to the ewe and catch her up. Badger was entirely unconvinced that this is a real holiday and was not impressed with my explanation. A true skeptic, she required convincing, so I called in some reinforcements.

Lucy helps Badger see the wisdom in my plan...


Once the reinforcements arrived, I was able to move to phase 2 of the plan: capture Badger.


Ha! Gotcha, Badger! She still looks unimpressed...
Phase 3 of the plan: Somehow get a photo of me and Badger in the same frame without a timer-set shutter or tripod. I decided to give Badger a nice hug around the neck and then stretch my other arm out as looooooong as I could. Looks like my arm was just barely long enough!

Success! Badger hugged, captured on film! Well, on iPhone at least. 


I am thinking my sheep are pretty glad this holiday comes only once a year. I told Badger she is lucky it was only Hug A Sheep Day and not Halloween, otherwise who knows what might have happened! I think she would look quite dashing in a set of devil horns ;)

5 comments:

Leanna said...

LOL. You and Badger are cute together. :-)

Jenny Glen said...

That's the best! Welcome aboard!

thecrazysheeplady said...

Aw, come on Badger. Every day's a great day for a hug :-D. Very cute!!!

Nana Mouse said...

dys·phe·mism [dis-fuh-miz-uhm] –noun 1. the substitution of a harsh, disparaging, or unpleasant expression for a more neutral one. The antonym of euphemism.

Heavens, I do that all the time! Didn't know there was a word for it. Example: "I eat dead bird but abstain from dead pig." ;)

Truly, I want to hug a sheep so very badly. I had an awesome time snuggling a newborn baby goat when my grown daughter was 7 months in the womb and I sure would love to do something much like that again :)

BCxFour said...

I am impressed!